Subject: Ticket Assigned - New Search Technologies - CentrePoint Stores
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 14:55:43 +0000

Hi Sohaib Ahmed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  New Search Technologies - CentrePoint Stores Dear team

I hope you are well.

First off, I just wanted to say I love what you guys are doing at
CentrePoint Stores. It is great to see that you are now the largest online
shop.

As part of a dynamic team committed to shaping the customer experience of
the future, it's inspiring to see a brand like CentrePoint Store devoting
so much time and energy to that same mission.

For that reason, it struck me you might be interested to find out more
about our global partner Visii's visually led, context-driven search and
recommendation AI technology. It essentially takes the search out of
shopping, empowering visitors to discover the products they're looking for,
every single time.

Having worked in the region for a number of years I am only too familiar
with the different cultures and languages within the region. One thing
everyone has in common however, is that humans are visual. Visual is
therefore such a key element of search and recommendation. This is
especially true with online shops, where items are very hard to describe
and indeed product inspiration is a key factor for reducing bounce rates
and getting customers to check out.

Visii's AI solution combines multiple components from traditional
recommendation and personalisation with visual search, behaviour and
contextual analysis and more, in order to serve your clients with the items
they will purchase.

Visii's patented AI drive is proven to outperform traditional
personalisation in revenue uplift, demonstrated in the Pamono Case Study
<https://t.sidekickopen45.com/s3t/c/5/f18dQhb0S7kF8cFDVQW756vqs1jkhflN4kC_d_pLqdTMbnQqmp-BrfVz7kNV6kvGBN101?te=W3R5hFj4cm2zwW4mKLS-4kFmn5W3SxHqQ3_rgWXW4cHYRm4fPdM9W3K96C03zdylT2233&si=8000000001708206&pi=566f3a3a-aa04-47b7-ef97-d138c4bc231e>,
where Visii outperformed traditional personalisation by 66% in revenue
uplift.

So, if you think there's a chance CentrePoint Stores could be doing more to
optimize product search and recommendation, I'd love an opportunity to show
you how our seamless solution is already setting new benchmarks for
e-commerce businesses, including revenue-per-user uplift and customer
experience.

Do let me know if you're available for a call this week or after Eid.

-- 

Best Wishes,

Mohammed Almas

General Manager | Invominds

M: +966-54-586-4666
*E:* [email-masked]

www.invominds.com

<https://www.instagram.com/InvoMinds/> <https://www.facebook.com/InvoMinds>
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/11314073/> <https://twitter.com/InvoMinds>

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4249155