Subject: Ticket Assigned - IMP PLEASE READ: why I have I not received my refunds as yet?
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 07:28:51 +0000

Hi Sohaib Ahmed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  IMP PLEASE READ: why I have I not received my refunds as yet? Dear team,

I had made two purchases by my debit ENBD card: one on 14th (AED79.00 -
foundation from the branch near Bur Juman) and one on 15th March 2022
(AED49.00 - foundation from the branch in Oasis Mall).

I returned one item on 15th March and one was returned on 16th or 17th
March 2022.
I have still not received my card refund.

Can this please be looked into or let me know what else needs to be done?

*I was informed when I returned my items that it would take max 2 weeks.
Now it has been way more than 2 weeks.*

Please look into this matter and get back to me.

My tel number is below if you require any more information.

Best regards,

Cheryl Sequeira
+971.55.608.1760

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4164985