Subject: Ticket Assigned - Not able to return a product
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 16:22:20 +0000

Hi Sohaib Ahmed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Not able to return a product Dear Sir/madam.

Reference: My Order Number-6364487221, Return Request: - 1001564595

On 06 Nov 2021 - 10:21 PM, I placed an order for shoes and car fragrance
and received it on Nov 10, 2021, 8:50 PM . I have discovered that the shoe
has the following problem

1.       I need to change the size of the shoes from 39 to 38.

For return I have requested via your application after I got a return
request number 1001564595, but after that nothing happened since 7 days,
even now in application it is not showing for return option. So now I am
having only 7 days remaining out of 14days for return time as per your
policy. Since 7 days I am contacting to your customer care several times
and also I went to your store directly to return this item, but they were
saying that they cannot return it now due to the system server problem/
error in system etc. I lost my 7 days now in my return due period.

                              I am very much disappointed with the size of
the product. I am a regular customer of CenterPoint. I always appreciate
your service and product too. I always rely on your products and like to
purchase from CenterPoint. Though it was never happened to me and I am
experiencing this type of inconvenience for the first time but I haven’t
expected this at all. I have ordered it for some purpose and now I see that
I have to return it and will not get by the time.

                              I have expected that like earlier this time
also I will have a great shopping experience with center point. Though it
is very dissatisfied for me but I expect that it will be sorted soon. I
hope that I will get your help and cooperation on this matter. I am
expecting the exact product with the proper size or refund me.

                              I will be very thankful to you if CenterPoint
will take care on this matter and will do the needful as early as possible
and I hope that this will never happen again and I will get a good shopping
experience with Center point in future.

The Consumer Rights Act makes it an implied term of the contract that goods
be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality.

As you are in breach of contract I am rejecting the Kangaroo Shoes and
request that you refund the sum paid to you of 85 or less (it is
collaborating with offer).

I also require you to confirm whether you will arrange for the item to be
collected or will reimburse me for the cost of returning it. If I do not
receive your satisfactory proposals for settlement of my claim within seven
days of the date of this letter, I intend to issue a claim against you in
the county court without further reference to you.

Yours faithfully,

Mohammed Safeer

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3371336