Subject: Ticket Assigned - Rude staff in store
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 15:45:42 +0000

Hi Sohaib Ahmed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Rude staff in store I went to Dubai mall to exchange my order! I wanted one of the items
changed. I stayed with the ones I wanted to keep but one staff that was
assisting me asked if I can give him all so he can process the return, to
which I accepted. I told him clearly one my one I will change. I repeated
it several times because  understandable he was a bit distracted and I
could see he didn’t understand me. Still I repeated he called a one marcel
I think he is the supervisor to help process the exchange. Marcel looked
disgusted and angry at helping me from the on set!!!!! I ignored and told
him my request he started asking me what I wanted to exchange and I
repeated again!! He said so you’re sure you want to exchange all I repeated
I only want to change one!! He said now I will confirm again (very rude and
disgusted on face). He said so you’re sure you wont change your mind again.
At this point I was already embarrassed and I could how unprofessional he
was sounding. He talked to me like I was a lunatic who had come to waste
his time. Marcel please don’t ever talk to anyone like that you’re in no
position to be disrespectful to any human being much less a customer. I
didn’t force you to help I know it’s your job if you hate it that much that
you take it out on customers please leave. I ve never been so disrespected
for nothing like you just did!!! I walked away as another customer was
waiting to pay and ask I let them pay. Marcel’s behavior says a lot about
him as person than he can ever imagine. It was weird he was angry that I
even wanted to change. He assumed I was going to waste his time from the
onset!!! He barely listened to what I wanted and he immediately said let me
confirm because you keep changing your mind! Like really I ve been speaking
to your colleague. And made my request clear why are you dismissing me and
treating me like am bothering you!!!! Isn’t that supposed to be your job!!!
That you should do happily!! He said some words in taglog like I was really
annoying him!!! Not sure how!!!! Raise his finger to his head like
signaling how stupid I was!!! Am soo disappointed to say the least!!!

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3094234