Subject: Ticket Assigned - Complaint number - 3012373 - Safety hazard in Fitting room
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 15:26:33 +0000

Hi Sohaib Ahmed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Complaint number - 3012373 - Safety hazard in Fitting room Hi,

I had been to Centrepoint Alrai showroom last Thursday evening (19th Aug)
and went to the fitting room to try on some dresses. Fitting room seemed
unclean with no hooks to hang clothes, clothes scattered here and there,
but still I went ahead. Didn't expect I would have to go through such
horror later. There was a very long pin that punctured my ankle, it went
literally deep and so much blood came out. Staff helped to put tincture and
bandage, but I am very angry with Centrepoint for not maintaining hygienic
safety standards for customers and putting them at risk. Very worst
customer experience.

I had to rush to the doctor immediately as the pain was very bad and I was
prescribed injection & pain killers. I was not able to walk properly for 3
days. When I had shared my experience to Centrepoint on Facebook messenger,
the only reply was that they would ensure the fitting room would be clean
in future.

I demand compensation from Centrepoint for all the hassle I had been
through. Attached all the photos. My family and friends have always been
regular shoppers at Centrepoint but such an experience makes us very
disappointed.

Regards,
Anees

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3012860