Subject: Ticket Assigned - Credit note of AED 56.19
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 15:57:58 +0000

Hi Sohaib Ahmed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Credit note of AED 56.19 Dear Manager,

Greetings!

I had made a purchase on 4 July 2021 at Centrepoint outlet at Oasis
Shopping Mall Dubai for total of two items and was mistakenly charged an
amount of AED 146.5 on my card for a total of three items when the purchase
made was for only two items. Upon realizing i had to rush to the mall that
a wrong amount was charged to my card and upon investigating they realized
that they double charged me for a blouse.The manager in charge there issued
me a small piece of paper with a credit note of AED
56.19 with a validity till end of December 2021 to be used.

Today upon checking I realized that the paper that was issued to me got
misplaced. So I requested the manger incharge to assist me. But he seems to
be unhelpful and said there is no way they can help me out.However I am
sure there is a way out there to check if this amount is used and to
reissue me the credit note or give me the amount in my shukran card or some
other way rather than just saying there is no solution to this.

I have  attached my receipt and the card for your reference .This company
looks into building up customer loyalty through its membership and not
losing its customers.

Looking forward to a positive response.

Regards
Joy Moraes

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3006549