Subject: Ticket Assigned - Damaged product
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2021 16:17:13 +0000

Hi Sohaib Ahmed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Damaged product Dear team,

Wishing you a very happy Eid!
Unfortunately I am not having a happy day. I purchased my eid clothes from
centerpoint online and my order was received on the 13th of July. I had
ordered a skirt and I wore it today for the first time. Unfortunately I had
to return home shortly because my layered skirt started coming off in
pieces.  The layers are tearing off.
I visited Splash near al bustan center, al Qusais and returned the item. I
asked it to be exchanged with the same product, but it was not available.
Also I was advised that I may experience the same even with the exchange.
The store was unable to lead us to any other store which had the same
product, showing poor quality among your branches.
The skirt was 100 dhs and it's really disappointing to have such a low
quality product. Most of all, I my Eid was spoilt. I have been a customer
of Splash for a very long time and I am very disappointed this time. I hope
you guys ensure the quality of your products.

Regards,
Mariyam

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2886337