Subject: Ticket Assigned - Fwd: Return item location not working
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2022 02:12:14 +0000

Hi Sohaib Ahmed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Fwd: Return item location not working ---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Sana Mumtaz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, Oct 5, 2022, 7:11 PM
Subject: Return item location not working
To: <[email-masked]>

Hi,

I've called your helpline number many times to return an item, but no one
has come to pick it up.
As per my last conversation with the customer service representative, she
shared a link with me to pin my location, but the location doesn't show up.
Attached is a screenshot of the page.

I need your urgent support please to resolve this issue and arrange the
driver to come and pick up the item.

Thanks,
Nabeel

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4971863