Subject: Ticket Assigned - ODERS # 9588370629, 9588370591, 9588367520
From: Splash <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2022 01:51:14 +0000

Hi Sohaib Ahmed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  ODERS # 9588370629, 9588370591, 9588367520 Hi Splash,

Would you be able to give me assistance ASAP?

We made orders online on Splash dated Sep 30th for the following ORDER
NUMBERS#  9588370629, 9588370591, 9588367520. We received a text message
from splash that these were delivered on the shipping location on *October
02, Sunday*. However, we haven't received the items still upto this day. No
courier was able to contact us hence we can not track the person who
delivered and who received them.

I already called twice to made follow up on this number (800-775274)
<800-SPLASH (800-775274)/> specified on your website. Your agents said that
they will file a complaint to the shipping company involved and they will
contact me. But we haven't receive any feedbacks from them yet.

We wanted to know how this issue can be resolved as we badly need the
products now. The items were already paid under Naveed Moithooty's name. Could
anyone assist us with this matter?

We look forward for your immediate response.

Regards,

*Switzel Dizon*

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4958152