Subject: Ticket Assigned - Return
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 01:50:42 +0000

Hi Sohaib Ahmed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Return Hello .
I am very very upset by your services.
3 weeks ago i requested a return and the carrier came and took the returned
item after 3 days .
Then after one week i contacted customer service and asked why it took so
long to refund my items , she told me it needs 14 days to process.
The 14 came and no money came. I contacted customer service again before
yesterday and she told me that she filed a complaint and it needs 48 hours
and now i am shocked by this email!!!
I never canceled my return. Where is my money?  You keep changing the date
and time and tell me to wait and there is no result.
I want my money back as soon as possible.

These are the details, please fix the problem and return my money.
Regards,
Aalia

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4880395