Subject: Ticket Assigned - Help!!!!!!
From: Babyshop <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 01:55:26 +0000

Hi Sohaib Ahmed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Help!!!!!! I ordered a product on August 26, 2022 and the order number is 9583740763.
First they tried to deliver the order in Dubai on 27 Aug. 2022 whereas I
clearly wrote in address that I live in Fujairah. Next day, I received a
message that “my order has been rejected by the customer” whereas NO ONE
called me or came to my place to deliver the order! Since yesterday, I have
called the helpline more than 10 times and complained! To my surprise,
instead of calling and contacting the helpline, they are sending me this
email!

Dear Team,

 The customer placed the order on (Aug 26, 2022 ), but the customer is in
rush and requested to speed up the delivery.Kindly contact the customer on
the following phone number ( +971506945662) to arrange an urgent
deliveryOrder number: 9583740763AWB: FP082722001438

Best regards,

Rahaf

I called so many times yesterday and everytime I was told that we have
informed the management about the issue and this issue will be resolved but
unfortunately it never happened!!

Today I started calling again, and I was even more disappointed that I yet
again received an email from your team which was a reminder!!! This was the
email sent today:

Hi Moomalnaseer,

a kind reminder

Rahaf

On Sun, 28 Aug at 12:54 PM , Moomalnaseer <[email-masked]> wrote:

Dear Team,

The customer placed the order on (Aug 26, 2022 ), but the customer is in
rush and requested to speed up the delivery.

Kindly contact the customer on the following phone number ( +971506945662)
to arrange an urgent delivery

Order number: 9583740763

AWB: FP082722001438

Best regards,

Mera Hamdan

I really want to ask what kind of service is this?? No one is helping the
customer!! It is like a very bad joke that you guys are doing with us!!!
When I tried cancelling the order, I was told that the order cannot be
cancelled as it is out for delivery and it was at 12:00 noon however it is
8:33 PM but until now no communication is done from your end to tell the
customer where on earth the order is nor you guys are cancelling the
order!!!

I beg you to please cancel the order and I will make sure that I never
repeat the mistake of ordering a single product from the babyshop online, I
promise!! I really learned my lesson!

Please help!!!

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4796665