Subject: Ticket Assigned - Fwd: Angela - Refund descripancy - Centrepoint stores
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2022 06:36:29 +0000

Hi Mayar nasser mahmoud,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Fwd: Angela - Refund descripancy - Centrepoint stores Dear Mr. Arun / Centrepoint Stores :

Appreciate your kind assistance to resolve this pending matter.
Kindly support.

Thanks and regards,

Angela

Mobile :  9729-3526

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Angela Dsa <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2022 at 23:21
Subject: Angela - Refund descripancy - Centrepoint stores
To: <[email-masked]>

Dear Mr. Arun :

This is in reference to my store visit today (30-Jan-2022); and upon
discussing with Mr. Sundar, there seems to be confusion in the total refund
amount

received from Centrepoint to be refunded to me.  The detailed explanation
was given to  Mr. Sundar and also the Credit wallet with Centrepoint App
was

shown to Sundar, whereby he was convinced of the details shared.   I am
attaching herewith screenshots of the Credit wallet for your  kind
reference.

Please note summary of the total amount due to me amounting to *KD.15.700*,
for the following orders :

*Sr #*

*Order no.*

*Complaint no.*

*Refund Amount due to me (KD.)*

*Amount received to Credit Wallet*

1.

8119298566

3769446

4.600

-

2.

8119777474

3769460

2.750

0.500

3

8119014698

3769424

5.000

4

8121456897

3769400

3.350

0.350

*Total payable to me *

*15.7000 KD*

I look forward to your support and assistance to resolve this issue at the
earliest.

Thanks and regards,

Angela

Mobile :  9729-3526

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3963088