Subject: Ticket Assigned - RE: Order 9556687927- WHY IS MY ORDER CANCELLED??
From: Babyshop <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2022 18:34:28 +0000

Hi Mayar nasser mahmoud,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  RE: Order 9556687927- WHY IS MY ORDER CANCELLED?? Hello, please help me understand what is happening with my order.

I just placed an order for 2 mattresses and 2 Berkeley beds, screenshot
below. I also paid for them.

One minute later, I get an email from baby shop saying that my order for
the beds has been cancelled.  The online site states that as of this minute
there are still SIX pièces in stock. Your cancellation does not make any
sense.

Please let me know why you cancelled by crib order ASAP. I now have 2
mattresses with NO cribs…I need this to be rectified immediately.

Look forward to your feedback ASAP. Thanks.

-- 
Nofi Mojidi, MBA
[email-masked]
Dubai, UAE I +971 55 302 7466

Skype: nofi.mojidi
ae.linkedin.com/in/nofimojidi

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3855922