Subject: Ticket Assigned - Refund for returned order - not yet recieved
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2022 21:09:24 +0000

Hi Mayar nasser mahmoud,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Refund for returned order - not yet recieved Contacted

The return request from my order was picked up on Monday 31 Jan 2022, I got
a message from centerpoint saying the return has been picked up at 1:53 pm
GST.

Then on Tuesday I got a message saying my return for order has been
cancelled.

Have not gotten a refund yet. The products have been picked up from my
address.

Kindly let me know how to proceed. How can I track the order return and
refund?

I have returned items many times before, the money has always been refunded
back to me in 2-3 business days of picking up the item.

Looking forward to a positive response.

Thank you.

Akshita

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3851879