Subject: Ticket Assigned - Regarding Order number 9516907568
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 23:13:53 +0000

Hi Mayar nasser mahmoud,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Regarding Order number 9516907568 Hi sir,

Good afternoon!
Hope you are doing well!

Regarding my order number 9516907568, I ordered 3 articles online on dated
1st December but unfortunately due to some serious health issue in our
family member which is in India so we had travel to India on urgent basis
and we jst came back here on 24th night and yesterday night we visited in
center point Burjman.
In India and here many times I buy stuff from ur brand and I always follow
the rules and regulations, it's our first case where we are not available
to exchange the goods, all goods are too loose to me and its totally waste
to my money.

As we all are living far from our country, jst coz of earn money and we
daily do hand work to earn money, it's really disheartening for me to see
my money wasted.

It's my humble request to u and ur team to pls give us first and last
chance to exchange my goods.

Moreover, we love online shopping because u have great collection in plus
size and we know the exchange policy too but still we did mistake jst
because we were not available here in Dubai.

We accepted our mistake and we will surely take care in future but it's my
humble request to u n ur team pls exchange the goods as all are too loose
to me, I don't want refund I jst want to exchange the same.

Requested u all pls do the needful.
Thanks & Regards,
Vishal
Cell no. +971522617724

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3668264