Subject: Ticket Assigned - Assistance- Shoe damage
From: Shoemart <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2021 07:47:20 +0000

Hi Mayar nasser mahmoud,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Assistance- Shoe damage Dear Shoe mart team,

I am Nusaiba Rasheed- Please find attached images of my shoe I bought from
Shoe mart store  in late 2020. I hardly use this & maximum 5 times I must
have worn it.
Surprisingly , It got damaged as in the attached image.

You can see & understand from the picture , how new it is.  Same time, it
is sad & doubtful about the quality of product you are selling now &  it is
discouraging to visit a shoemart store again as  it doesn't meet the
quality of a standard brand.
Please let us know-  if you can repair the shoe , or replace it, As I
dont have the habit of keeping bills with me, but maybe I can find the box
.  But you can see your product as it is labelled on the soe itself.

Please let me know what kind of assistance you can provide for this.

Thanks & Regards,

Nusaiba Rasheed

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2299544