Subject: Ticket Assigned - Order: 9661870349
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 06:35:31 +0000

Hi Juhi Goel,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Order: 9661870349 Dear Representative,

I have been buying from Center Point for quite some time without any issues
however the last two times I was left really disappointed:

- Bought some pants and sent them in for fitting. This took forever and
several visits to ur store to get the pants back.

- Subject order was shipped with a damaged toy that didn't had all
components.

I do understand as things doesn't always happen as planned and I told ur
Ajman Store staff to get me another toy but unfortunately they didn't had
any such procedure in place. They asked me to return the defective toy and
take refund! I mean come on had CenterPoint made the online ordering
process assuming everything will always be 100%. Appreciate your staff who
helped me refund my money to place a new order for the same toy.

You rightfully charge for the delivery and can you please assume the same
right for ur customer? I also have to plan and come to ur store that costs
me as well! I would appreciate if you can look into ur processes and make
them more customer friendly. Especially when kids are involved, stakes are
higher for parents that has left me dissatisfied.

I have placed a new toy order for my son and hope I get a proper toy.
Thanks~

Regards,

Nabeel

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2594322