Subject: Ticket Assigned - Return - Credit Voucher - Missed - AED83
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 10:05:25 +0000

Hi Juhi Goel,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Return - Credit Voucher - Missed - AED83 Dear all,

Greetings!

I have purchased clothes from Ajman centre point and returned the same, for
that they have provided credit voucher on same value.

Mistakenly I have put my clothes in washing machine along with the voucher,
so it’s gone completely and now no more physical voucher with me.

But for a safer side I have taken a photograph for the same voucher, with
that I have tried to purchase in the store but store people unfortunately
couldn’t able to help.

I had a discussion with your customer care team and they have ask me to
send an email along with that voucher.

Kindly find the attached voucher for your reference.

Since the value is AED 83 and it’s really big for me, so hopefully you will
take it into consideration and help me out to purchase on the same value.

My mobile no : 0554728782.
My Shukran card no : 1800 0001 4170 4965.

Thanks and regards,
Ganesan Kaliyaperumal.

-- 
Thanks & Regards,
Ganesan Kaliyaperumal.

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2006082