Subject: Ticket Assigned - Return Process | Aramex link not working
From: Splash <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 03 May 2021 08:43:33 +0000

Hi Juhi Goel,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Return Process | Aramex link not working Good morning.

I received a defective dress yesterday and I requested on your website to
return it. I received and SMS with the Aramex link to pay the courier fee,
but the link is not working. Can you send me another link?

My order number is 9656687158.

I would also like to point out the hassle this is giving me. I ordered a
dress online thru your website, and received the dress *WITH THE METAL
SECURITY TAG ON IT*!!! You leave me no choice but to return it, and I have
to pay the courier pick up too. Will I be receiving a full refund for the
dress and the courier fee??

Please send me another Aramex link and so I can return this defective dress
ASAP! Thank you!

Regards,
Andrea
0551577843

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2485782