Subject: Ticket Assigned - Requesting for a replacement
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 03 May 2021 08:20:13 +0000

Hi Juhi Goel,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Requesting for a replacement Hi..
I bought Fisherprice Newborn to Toddler Rainforest Rocker on 10th February
2021 as a Valentines Day gift for my 3 months old baby.. And she loves the
chair.. And I thought of washing it today and since it’s clearly mentioned
it is machine washable.. I machine washed it in gentle delicate mode.. This
is the first time I am washing.. And to my surprise, the product is torn
and I am very much disappointed.. I even recommended this chair to many of
my friends. Also please don't mention in the product that  it is machine
washable, since it is clearly taring apart even if it is put in a delicate
gentle wash.. I kindly request you to provide a  replacement pad at least
since we bought the product only couple of months before..  Looking forward
for your immediate resolution...

Order ID - 9634576943

Thank you

Kind Regards,
Jagdheesh
Mob No - 0554509966

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2412909