Subject: Ticket Assigned - Second time Wrong product has delivered through online booking - Feel Cheated
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 02 May 2021 02:11:20 +0000

Hi Juhi Goel,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Second time Wrong product has delivered through online booking - Feel Cheated Hello Centre Point,

This is happening second time as again I have received no proper size
product as per description. I have made the purchase through centre point
online at riyadh for the "*BABYSHOP **Juniors Space Shuttle Embroidered
Towel - 60x120 cms" *but i have received "*BABYSHOP **Juniors Space Shuttle
Embroidered Towel - 38x7**6 cms"* after opening the package I am
disappointed from center point.

The product is not matching the description given online , I paid for *"60X120
cms"* but received *"38X76 Cms"*.

Please rectify this as soon as possible and compensate for *the loss of
time I spent on shopping with centrepoint* and I am very much disappointed
as I am a regular customer of centrepoint from UAE, KSA and *now I feel
cheated* as I received the product differently than the description
mentioned in online.

Please see the  attachment.

*Details:-*
Order no :- Order #6300642130
Consignment no:-  #88887001164020210425

*Regards*
*Azim*
*+966 594671760*

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2487176