Subject: Ticket Assigned - Payment Issue Hence Offer Expired
From: Lifestyle <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 02 May 2021 02:07:21 +0000

Hi Juhi Goel,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Payment Issue Hence Offer Expired Dear Gents,
Good Afternoon,

As I spoke to Mr. Mohannad over the helpline, Please find attached my
basket of products, which I intend to place an order for, a couple of days
ago at night time but due to some payment issue, I left it for next day &
the voucher offer went away next morning.

2 things are noticeable: -
- Credit Card Payment issue was not in my control so I left the matter on
the next day
- Voucher expiry date was not mentioned, otherwise I would have tried again
& again to use it on the same night.

I was using I believe code - LS20, which was offering me 20% discount on my
online order amounting to around Riyals - 650 (Discount almost SAR 125).

I shall be very thankful to you for your kindness in giving me another
voucher or discount code amounting up to SAR 125. It was beyond my control.

Looking for your favorable response.

Thanks & Best Regards,

*RAHEEL FAISAL*
Riyadh Metro Line 3
*+966 500 797 067*
*+966 50 321 8862*

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2319674