Subject: Ticket Assigned - Complaint and request to redeliver the order ASAP
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 05:15:53 +0000

Hi Juhi Goel,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Complaint and request to redeliver the order ASAP Sir / Madam,

My name is Bassim and I had placed an order  online @
https://www.maxfashion.com.
My order number is* 4554898228.*

I had placed an order consisting of 4 pants and two T-shirts. Unfortunately
for one of the pants the price that you have quoted is not matching that to
the one shown in the website ..i will be sending screenshots to this email
regarding the same.
This is not something that we expect from MAX and hoping to solve this
problem as soon as possible.

I had also called your hotline informing them regarding the same .
She had told me to send an Email here.
Again, This is not something that we expect from MAX and hoping to solve
this problem as soon as possible.

yesterday (25-04-2021) after 14 hrs (around) i placed the order , i had
called and confirmed them to make changes and she had assured me that she
will confirm and inform me within 3-5 days.

But, today i had got a message regarding the confirmation of the location
for final delivery. I called the same person again and she informed me to
contact through Email for your support.

Also my final bill including the wrong price that you have quoted is 215
and is remaining the same...and i really need this product as it is the
last piece in size of which we require.
She told me to refuse the pant and reorder it again and no delivery charges
will be taken then done. but again unfortunately i couldn't do that since
mine was the last piece in size 34 and it is out of stock now because i had
taken it before.

So she told me to refuse the pant and then contact you for support .
I am in need of that pant and hoping you will assure me the same price as
you had told on the website and therefore no delivery charges to be taken
then in that order..

We know max is an esteemed organization and will help us throughout..
After all expecting the pant at the right price and then fairly to be not
charged …We are awaiting for your reply ..

further details
Pants ordered:

1) Slim Fit Solid Chinos with Belt Loops and Pocket Detail
2) Solid Jog Pants with Pockets and Drawstring
3) Full Length Chinos with Button Closure and Pocket Detail
4) Full Length Denim Joggers with Cuffed Hem and Pocket Detail

The problem is that of the first one in which the original price is 30 QR
and you have charged me 46.05 Qr.
I will be sending screenshots and hoping to receive the reply ASAP

As assured with your employee i will be collecting the order from your
delivery person and then will be reordering when it come in stock....
pls reply ASAP

Sending screenshot of the following
- The order confirmation.
- The original price
- The price that you have quoted.

Regards
A good customer.

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2456282