Subject: Ticket Assigned - Late delivery
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2021 02:07:32 +0000

Hi Juhi Goel,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Late delivery Good morning
I have a complain that I have still not got my order which was done on 27
of March
The order no is #4545720981 this was the order tht was suppose to come on
the 29th of March
I did two orders the second I have received within 2 days but my first
order is delayed
I have contacted the customer service through phone call on both 30th March
and 1st April
On both times the person who spoke to me said tht there was no information
regarding that
So plzzz this was first time I have been disappointed with the delivery
service and I don’t need any apologetic msg from ur side instead I would
like tht i reactive my order by today itself cuz it has been a mistake from
ur side
Srry for inconvenience and my behavior but I would like to get my order
today
Thank you
Hope to get a quick response from ur side

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2336107