Subject: Ticket Assigned - Order return: 6286247278
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 13:33:12 +0000

Hi Juhi Goel,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Order return: 6286247278 Good day

Your instructions regarding returns:
1. Box up the returns:  I received products in a plastic bag, not a box.
Why should I box it up if you did not?
I opened the bag carefully, I intend to use your own bag in which you
delivered the products, to return the products.

2. Include invoice:  I did not receive an invoice on delivery. Where will I
get an invoice from?

3. Your delivery, return and pick up process takes very long. If I
calculate it correctly it will take approximately 24 days from date of
delivery till date of refund.

Thank you for informing me about the process time. I already placed new
items in my cart to replace the items I am returning,  but now I will no
longer purchase through your online portal. It simply takes too much time.

Regards
Charlene Eilerd

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2305329