Subject: Ticket Assigned - Car seat issue
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2021 02:26:02 +0000

Hi Juhi Goel,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Car seat issue Hello,

I received a car seat gift and the brand was chicco. The car seat was
purchased from your website and I got the car seat on May 2020, due to
covid situation the car seat was not used until recently. Since then we are
facing kind of issue to the car seat, our 9 months old baby can easily eat
the peeled material. The chair material is not that good its peeling
easily, the leather is all over the car and over our baby face and clothes
as well.

We have no idea whats the issue of this car seat type. As we know that
chicco brand is one of the best brands when it comes to baby essentials and
needs. Therefore, we are so disappointed to our first impression about the
car seat and we need a solution.

** Reference number of the purchase was:
#9781754760

* I uploaded some photos of the situation.

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2060586