Subject: Ticket Assigned - Damaged item
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2021 02:26:01 +0000

Hi Juhi Goel,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Damaged item Dear all,

I spoke with Amani...

I bought this jacket online but when I arrived to collect it in Dubai mall
it was damaged with hole. They had the same jacket but different size so I
took that.
They had the same jacket also in black color which also I tried to buy
online before but while buying both jackets online black got sold out
however it is available in store!
Therefore because the 1st jacket was damaged as I compensation what can you
offer to me?
Also I wish to buy 2nd jacket in black color with additional online
discount of 20% in store?
Please see attached damage item and 2nd item I wish to buy somehow with
online 20% discount in store!
Additionally I tried to make this complaint on you app but can’t finish as
says invalid phone number when I enter it but actually I enter correct so
there is some system error for complaints! See attached!
Last, can you please instruct your security in shop in dubai mall to follow
people that they wear masks as while I was there in the shop there were
more people without masks than woth masks on! Even the cleaner was woth
mask down! Please to ensure safety of other customers make sure all staff
and customers are wearing the masks and not keeping them down otherwise all
the wish to visit your shop disappears as not sure what security is doing
if they don’t do their job these days which is just to follow all customers
to wear the masks! I had to approach security call them and show how many
people are without masks and ask security to go to them to ask out masks
on, it is not really my job to do so! After few minutes again I saw same
people masks down! Security need to do something about them not only
standing in one corner of shop like statues, they need to do their job!!!
Also it is very disappointing and misleading the consumer when u open
CENTRE point web and see 10-15% additional discount but when I enter the
code says only for new members! But it does not say in the beginning that
it is not for existing customers which is wrong!
Thank you!

Regards, Ilze spure 0527526777

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2059987