Subject: Ticket Assigned - Delay in delivering Material order no. _9637782430
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2021 02:31:53 +0000

Hi Juhi Goel,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Delay in delivering Material order no. _9637782430 Dear MAX,

Attn: The Manager customer service team

*Reference to my order no. _9637782430, courier tracking
number: FP022421001376
<https://www.maxfashion.com/ae/en/my-account/order/9637782430#> *

 which has not been received till today, the order placed on 24-02-2021, as
per your  Max fashion Delivery rules inside the Dubai Area in your website
showing 24 hours only but for me from the last 11 days following up my
order with your customer care representatives(ticket
no's:2169752,2175371,2160396) but nobody gives a proper response regarding
this and Every time they are saying material delivery will be as soon as a
possible statement from their side.

This delay on your part is causing me considerable embarrassment. Please
intimate me on the phone the status of your delivery schedule as soon as
you receive this letter. I may be forced to cancel the order if you fail to
reply and cause any more delays.

Time is now essential. Please deliver the item as soon as possible. If you
do not, I will expect a full refund.

Thank and regards

K Manmohan

0526340109

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2204218