Subject: Ticket Assigned - Claim Stuff 2022624
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2021 10:09:35 +0000

Hi Juhi Goel,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Claim Stuff 2022624 Hi CenterPoint
     I would like to raise a problem facing with you.My husband already
emailed you about this so many time but still no proper reply.
   I would like to say this is very unethical and very unprofessional
behavior.
    We ordered 2 baby jackets from Eligo baby shop from MOE branch.we sent
these stuff to Pakistan but after using for 2 weeks these jackets were
damaged and pics are attached.My husband tried to contact with your support
team.They said we need the stuff.We courier the jackets from Pak to Dxb and
cost us more than the original price of jackets to show your product
quality.We submit our stuff to the store today they return us back the
stuff as no response from your side.
    I am fed up with this issue.I will not accept these items.Kindly refund
or cash voucher.
    If you can't do anything,i will upload these pics to all social media
and let others knows the stuff quality.
Best Regardd
Hadia Haider
0525716317

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2179969