Subject: Ticket Assigned - Delivery guy bad behaviour
From: Splash <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2021 05:05:11 +0000

Hi Juhi Goel,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Delivery guy bad behaviour This is the second time i am raising a complaint against the delivery guy
Amir Hussain contact number 0096650393919. Before I had complained against
him for his bad behaviour. Today he came again for the Delivery and
questioned and started arguing with me for raising complaints against him.
Old Complaint reference 1951951.

He showed my complaint mail in his phone and was threatening me and took my
video saying that I complained against him. I feel shame on landmark group
for being such irresponsible against customers. Is this the way how you
treat customer complaints?

You guys are sharing the customer complaint email to the delivery guys and
they personally are coming to us and threatening. Is this the way you do
business? Being an Indian I Feel shame to say that landmark management are
Indians.

From now on i will not purchase anymore from you again and will make sure
everyone from my contacts will stop purchasing from landmark.
-- 
Warm Regards
Ajith Anil

 Save our trees  ,Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to
......

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2045469