Subject: Ticket Assigned - Query on order id 6258501861 and 6259775367
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2021 08:29:11 +0000

Hi Juhi Goel,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Query on order id 6258501861 and 6259775367  Hi there

This is Vaishnavi Upadhyaya (0545654318, email: [email-masked]).
We have some of the following orders to be returned with order id
6258501861 and 6259775367.

We have 3 returns concerning two orders.

Order id 6258501861 - Return no 1000395620 and 1000423101

Order id- 6259775367- Return no 1000406842

Address will be

Dr.Lakshmeesha Upadhyaya
King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST)
Oasis 617 -115
23955-6900 Thuwal, Saudi Arabia
(Note: come to Visitor center at gate 1 or discovery square)
Phone: 0545654318

We have requested a return long back ( 4- 5 times) and requested through
email with ticket no 2018003 and never heard back. I will think 100 times
before buying again in your online store since you made my experience of
return and refund nightmare. It's better you change the policy to " No
return will be accepted" to be careful in buying. I have never faced this
issue back in the USA with any store. Thanks again for making the
experience a nightmare. Can you imagine it more than a month with 5 to 6
requests raised and every time the reply is " we have raised the ticket to
the concerned department" TERRIBLE!

Please respond quickly and arrange the courier pickup.

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2034692