Subject: Ticket Assigned - Issue with return cancellation after collection
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2021 14:44:07 +0000

Hi Arunjay Raj Chouhan,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Issue with return cancellation after collection Hello Team,

I am writing to you as requested by your customer service team. I have
called customer care twice on the 28th(ticket-1000681068) and 31st with
regards to this issue but no resolution.

I placed a returns for couple of orders on 23rd for a total of six items
and what I noticed is after the delivery person collected these items,
automatically the system is sending me a message that my returns are
cancelled since 28th. The cancellation has happened without any request
from my side and after collection of the clothes from your side. I am
attaching the the screenshots of the orders and the returns along with the
SMS sent. The order numbers are as follows: 9642767522( having the issue)
and 9642774410 ( no issues).

Please contact me if you would require any more information and I would
request you to get this sorted as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance

Sushanth Rao
0501019175

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2331551