Subject: Ticket Assigned - Problems & Error in the Application
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2021 15:06:04 +0000

Hi Arunjay Raj Chouhan,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Problems & Error in the Application Dear Support Team,

          Please need your support regarding the attached pictures.

Actually I tried many times to purchased through your application but
unfortunately the checkout not working. I wanted to use your new payment
method (tabby) but I received that this kind of payment can't be approve
with my purchase.

+ it's my first time to use your application & I want to use the Discount
Code: CPAP10 to get 10% off overall my purchase price.

So kindly, I'm waiting for your reply to solve this issue for me.

I have another e-mail also it's new account. I tried to do some purchases
but again I faced same problems like this account.

My 2 emails address are:-
1. [email-masked]
2. [email-masked]

Thanks & Regards,

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2324256