Subject: Ticket Assigned - Google Analytics Enhanced e-commerce tracking
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2021 17:16:20 +0000

Hi Arunjay Raj Chouhan,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Google Analytics Enhanced e-commerce tracking "Good greeting"

This is *Ammar *a Digital Analytics Adviser at Da'am Al-Arabia - Jeddah.
I believe we can help with optimizing Centrepoint
<https://www.centrepointstores.com/> business performance.

We can increase your online orders through a comprehensive measurement
strategy that enables us to measure, analyze, and optimize your website/app
traffic through implementing Enhanced e-Commerce Tracking with Google
Analytics.
As a result, you better understand your buyer journey, make informed
decisions about future marketing campaigns, and most importantly, optimize
your conversion rate.

If you're interested, please let me know. I'll be happy to discuss your
needs.

One example, we can report the checkout and shopping behavior for your
website. See the attached screenshot.

*Best Regards.*

*Ammar Mohammed* | Da'am Al-Arabia | www.daam.com.sa
 Tel: +966 12 6396544 Ext. 102  | *Mob:** +966 582666167*

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2279557