Subject: Ticket Assigned - Inquiry
From: Lifestyle <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2021 17:16:21 +0000

Hi Arunjay Raj Chouhan,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Inquiry Dear Team,

I came across your Google-My-Business profile and noticed that you could 
do much better then you currently do.

Studies shown that most customers expect a rating of 4,5 stars or more 
to consider a restaurant.

As you are much below that "expectation line" you are loosing a lot of 
money!

I would love to help you get more positive and real reviews for your 
restaurant from your actual guests and thus increase your sales!

Wouldn´t it be great when future guests leave their contact details 
automatically and thus be able to contact them for further marketing 
purposes?

We can help you with that easily!

Does that sound interesting to you?
Then please get in touch with us: [email-masked]

We are looking forward to your feedback.

Best regards
Maik Müller
from the LocalNation team
 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2279561