Subject: Ticket Assigned - Regarding courier delivery service
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2021 16:45:25 +0000

Hi Arunjay Raj Chouhan,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Regarding courier delivery service Hi Sir/Madam,

Greetings !

My previous order delivery and delivery courier staff was very good, it’s
appreciated.

The second courier as scheduled date ahead receive a message. I done it ok.
Next day I receive message courier out for delivery and delivery staff
mobile number. I called him and he told me he was busy with vehicles
serving its take time and me again. After an hour I called him again and
what was his answer if I want my parcel I have to go to the said location
because my delivery address is far, so he did return the parcel and update
customer was not responding. That’s not good.
Next day I spare my time and went to courier office and collect the parcel.
Overall that’s not good experience.

Hope you understand.

Best regards;
Mustafa
-- 
Sent from iPhone M. M. K. Pasha

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2268776