Subject: Ticket Assigned - Regarding delivery of order no. 9636305178
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2021 08:24:54 +0000

Hi Arunjay Raj Chouhan,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Regarding delivery of order no. 9636305178 Dear Concern,

This is regarding an online order which I placed on 17th February by
considering the delivery time mentioned while ordering which was "1-2
business days" and I was expecting the package max by 21st February to
collect it from the store.

Till today I didn't receive any message or email about the status of my
order and I have been waiting blindly for the package to be ready to
collect.

During my conversation with the Call Centre manager, I clearly stated that
I need the package within today and need the surety that I will receive the
package before EOD or incase if Centrepoint is not able to deliver the
package even on 4th day, I asked to keep the package and sought full refund.

She mentioned that she will check the order and its status and she will
call me back by 4PM today but no call back from her till now.

One thing can be done from your end is that you may ask store to keep these
items ready for me to pick it up before EOD as I cannot wait till tomorrow
as the "promised delivery time on App" has already crossed and I don't need
these items tomorrow as this is for my guests and they are flying tomorrow
early morning.

I was under the impression that the service of Centrepoint is very good but
had to experience the delay and irresponsible service from the call centre.

Now it is all upon you with two options, either you make these items ready
at store (which were already available at store) or process the full
refund. Anyone of it within TODAY.

Still in case you are not able to take the decision, let me know so that I
can contact Mr. Simon Smith on this matter and seek a decision.

Awaiting your response urgently on this as there is no hope of a response
from the call centre.

Regards,
Maulik
0567245627

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2140378