Subject: Ticket Assigned - Very bad customer experience.
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2021 04:01:58 +0000

Hi Arunjay Raj Chouhan,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Very bad customer experience. Dear Team,

Its really a bad day for me.
Yesterday I ordered some baby clothes for our to be born baby with all my
anxiety and happiness. But by today morning I got a text from your side
that you have cancelled one of my order. When I checked with your customer
service. I came to know that you were having some warehouse issues. So my
question is if you have warehouse issues then why you guys are showing
offer and stock availability in your online store. I personally felt like
cheated. And I have requested your staff to cancel my rest of the order.
And here by I make sure I will never order from you again.
It is purely cheating and now you owe me money. And I wish to get it
refunded as soon as possible.
Find the attached screenshot for your reference.

Thank you,
Shameel KP
+971544004154
Al qusais industrial area 5
Dubai
Uae

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/1900522