Subject: Ticket Assigned - complaint about Order #9616412321
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2021 13:45:42 +0000

Hi Arunjay Raj Chouhan,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  complaint about Order #9616412321 Dear Support Team,
I would like to raise the issue of my complaints done multiple times
through phone calls but till this date i did not find a solution.
The order was done on November 22, 2020 and till date I did not get items
or money back to my account for the partial refund of 1 item while I am
still waiting for other item in that order.
Following is the complaint number done through phone:
Complaint on 22 December 2020: 1905632

I would like to request you to please cancel my order and refund my money.
I did not do it through the app as it is showing 1 item is cancelled
already and I didn't get the money back.

I am requesting that this issued to the supervisors who can find the
solution and tell me when it can be resolved.

Thank you

Imran Ali
[email-masked]
0506394954

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/1962505