Subject: Ticket Assigned - Damaged item received
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2022 01:58:44 +0000

Hi Mohammed Murshed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Damaged item received Good day,

I am sending this email regarding a damaged item i received in my order,
that was delivered today's evening, June 5th.
It is a black trouser with a torn pocket from the inside.
Attached is a picture of the damaged item and it's tag.

I would like to replace the damaged item, but if i return it and order
again, the refund and ordering again will take time, and the refund will
not be the same full amount because a discount voucher was used, and that
would be an inconvenience to say the least.

As a loyal customer, that has never experienced such an issue before in the
countless times i ordered and bought from centerpoint stores over the
years, I look forward to your help and cooperation in this matter.

I would also like to return 2 other items from the same order, because of
the size.

Please find the relevant information below, for your reference:
- order No. : #4672875786
- order date: 4 June
- order total: QR 332.34

Thank you in advance,
looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Best Regards,
Dr. Rayan Musa
77832711

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4456102