Subject: Ticket Assigned - Return and refund
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2021 02:51:18 +0000

Hi Mohammed Murshed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Return and refund My name is kavish balani.

Me and my wife we frequently do online shopping from max, splash and
babyshop.

The order number i am writing today in concern with in 9668084454

Purchase was made on the 8th June 2021 and the products got delivered on
9th June 2021

There is a top which we want to return and i went today to your sharjah
city center outlet, they refused saying 14 days are over.

I told them today is the 14th day and the day is not over yet as we recvd
the parcel on 9th june.

They told me i should call max help line.

I called the max contact number and spoke to Nabeel.

I was surprised to hear his rude and straightforward behaviour towards me.

I keep telling him today is the 14th day, and he continously kept repeating
that 14th day got over at 2:49 PM today afternoon.

I was shocked as landmark group customer service has always been kind and
supportive towards their customers .

Anyhow the world is changing so no wonder if you guys are. All i want to
say is that not accepting my return of the item today will have a negative
impact on my wife which might stop purchasing products from max from now
onwards.

Thanks and regards

Kavish balani

0502164615

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2758131