Subject: Ticket Assigned - Re: wrong billing
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 14:29:34 +0000

Hi Mohammed Murshed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Re: wrong billing Dear Concern Person

Greetings

 I have purchased this one at store.. and i have purchased 3 camisole
which has to b 27 aed but the bill came as 2 for 20 and one for 15 aed..
and after thinking of bill prices i asked the counter sales boy again and
he said its different one blah blah n manipulated me and i after reaching
home i have chked nd found a tag of 12 aed on it where as it was billed as
15 aed.. and even with bar code i have checked in online it was only 12 aed
.. its not the matter of 3 aed only.. actually in offer 3 camisoles for 27
aed only but it was billed as 35 aed means its of 8 dhs difference.. im
very disappointed.. i stay in ajman and as it was weekend we came there and
i liked the offer n collection i purchased now i cant come again to Dubai
festival city to ask this 8 dhs this much long n take my time ...  really
disappointed  . ?.. c we will come on weekends on malls n will find offers
n will buy..  so plz b responsible  while offers plz keep the tags n
billing machines respectively

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2745729