Subject: Ticket Assigned - Order number: 6309504269
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2021 03:11:03 +0000

Hi Mohammed Murshed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Order number: 6309504269 Bad Experience with CentrePoint!

Order number: 6309504269

'Coffee maker set' brought to us were damaged. It is not working when
opened.

Picture is attached. It is not working at all.  Tried new batteries but
nothing works.

Kindly replace or refund as soon as possible.

This is second time we got poor response from your customer service. Last
time we requested to replace the new born clothes because the baby died
before birth. The clothes were untouched, packed with stickers on them. The
branch said to us they will check with the management and reply back BUT
never got any response at all.

I hope this time you will not keep your previous behaviour.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Hafsa Muhammad

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2618434