Subject: Ticket Assigned - ORDER # 8411422858 - REFUND FAILED
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2023 16:03:48 +0000

Hi Mohammed Murshed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  ORDER # 8411422858 - REFUND FAILED Dear Team,

Order # *8411422858* was unable to pick it up due to some emergency issues
(out of Kuwait).

My order got canceled and refund in process... Unfortunately my debit card
was expired and got my new card. Since the refund process was unsuccessful
due to the change in the debit card expiry date, the transaction got
failed. Due to this issue, *my bank blocked my debit card. Now I am unable
to do any transactions with my card.*

Further to the telecon with the customer support team, please find the
attached screenshot for your reference and request to refund the money
through your branch in *Al Salam Complex Salmiya.*

Thank you,
With regards,
K. Babu
55026386

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5678074