Subject: Ticket Assigned - يوجد 4 من المج مكسورين من اوردر تم طلبه
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2022 16:36:55 +0000

Hi Mohammed Murshed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  يوجد 4 من المج مكسورين من اوردر تم طلبه Dear Customer,

This email concerns your Customer Service case # 5432590

I am following up on our email from 1 day back (mentioned below). We've not
heard from you in 1 day. I request you to please provide us information
requested in the trailing email below for us to help us resolve your query.

We request you to kindly reply within next 24 hours, as the support case
request will be automatically considered resolved and be closed.

Looking forward to your response.

عميلنا العزيز,

تتعلق هذه الرسالة الإلكترونية بحالة خدمة العملاء الخاصة بك # 5432590

نحن نقوم بمتابعة بريدنا الإلكتروني منذ يوم (المذكور أدناه). لم نسمع منك
خلال اليوم السابق. نطلب منكم تزويدنا بالمعلومات المطلوبة في البريد
الإلكتروني التالي أدناه لمساعدتنا في حل استفسارك.

نطلب منك التفضل بالرد خلال 24 ساعة القادمة ، أو سيتم إغلاق الطلب بشكل
تلقائي واعتبار أن القضية قد تم حلها.

نتطلع الى ردكم.

-——

Reena kumari :

Hi Ibrahim,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

We would be happy to help you but as we checked we are unable to find any
order with email id [email-masked].

We request you to please confirm us the order number and e-mail Id used to
place this order so that we can assist you accordingly.
​
We look forward to hearing from you.

Do not hesitate to reach out to us for any further assistance.

Thank You,
Centrepoint Support Team

5432590:1125156
Dear Customer,

This email concerns your Customer Service case # 5432590

We have sent you follow up emails requesting information, however we've not
heard from you. We assume that your issue has now been resolved, and we
will treat this support case as closed.

Incase you feel that your issue is still outstanding, please reply to this
email, and we will re-open your case.

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5444003