Subject: Ticket Assigned - Payment issue urgent
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2022 16:32:33 +0000

Hi Mohammed Murshed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Payment issue urgent Dear Max Managment:

I ordered from Max application through apple pay and they dedcuted the
money from my card but after that max sent me sms message saying that
payment failed but you already took the money.
I contacted the bank and they told me that it is a payment gateway issue
and this is the number of it : 349026 as the bank told me. I called the
customer Service in max and they told me to send you an email with
screenshots to solve my issue and give me my money back as they is no order
created on my account in max.

Please find attached the screenshots requested.
-- 
Saja Amer

Administrative Assistant

Office of the Provost and Chief Academic Officer

Tel +971 6 5152021

American University of Sharjah

PO Box 26666, Sharjah

United Arab Emirates

http://www.aus.edu

[email-masked]

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5439850