Subject: Ticket Assigned - Order # 4690880975
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2022 16:39:53 +0000

Hi Mohammed Murshed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Order # 4690880975 Hi, Order # 4690880975 please arrange my delivery on my requested time. I
sent message to your Contact us and Help us but no one is checking.
Yesterday, from 7:42 AM you message me my order out of deivery, I,ve waited
from 8 AM yesterday until 11 Am because after that I was at work, 2 PM your
delivery team message, I told him I am at work please inform your office I
sent your Contact us to deliver on my availability.  Or come tomorrow at
8M, but he said no he can come only at 4PM, I am not available at 4 PM I am
working from 11 AM to 8 PM. Daily am not available from 9 Am, only
Saturday.

Again you mentioned my order is out for delivery but you cannot deliver on
my availability.

It's so hard to make requests to your online store. Very stressful to
order.

Enclosed conversation from your delivery partner.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Thank you.

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5024470