Subject: Ticket Assigned - My order no 8184139518
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 16:15:13 +0000

Hi Mohammed Murshed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  My order no 8184139518 Dear Sir ,
We have seen an item on your website and the photo written on it buy one
get one
Same on the app and both websites splash and centerpoints and we paid over
the website to collect it from store .
the delivery email says it is only once pcs who comes the basket page
showed to me offered claimed in high lighted green please check all the
attached photos
Today I called the call center and they says there is blue promotion bottom
should be appear on the website or the app which it is not there and I try
to buy new one again it is only one item same thing like
yesterday
Other lady said you should put 2 yesterday it gives me double time price
Normally at the shop I pay for one item they tells me you have offer buy
one get one not to buy 2

so I would like to claim my right as customer to obtain the second pcs as
you promoted at your website.
Regards
Hany fawzy
99044579

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4800042