Subject: Ticket Assigned - Fwd: Issue with digital voucher
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 02:06:28 +0000

Hi Hamza Nomani,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Fwd: Issue with digital voucher ---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: sarah muthoni <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022, 21:07
Subject: Issue with digital voucher
To: <[email-masked]>

Dear customer service team

I was refunded with a digital voucher at ibin batuta centre point store
.The  voucher value was 99.9AED .The lady at the click and collect desk did
not tell me that I should use the voucher once if am buying online items.

I ordered online item worth 45AED as attached document.

How do I get my remaining voucher amount. 54.9AED cannot just disappear
that's hard earned money.

Please help me on how to proceed.the store said the amount is forfeited.
Which is not fair to me since I had no information on how to use the
voucher.

Sarah Muthoni
0568714809
Looking forward to hearing from you.

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5470965