Subject: Ticket Assigned - Complain about online order number 6185947031. Riyadh KSa
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 23:07:59 +0000

Hi Hamza Nomani,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Complain about online order number 6185947031. Riyadh KSa Dear, centrepoint team
Kindly find the below my online order  number : 6185947031 date of order 26
November 2022
Which i order it yesterday and its cash on delivery and i get the tracking
SMS
And i keep following up and at 7pm notification at centerpoint App its
undelivered .
The All my  Data is there the mobile number also no any contacts.
And i call the customer service and they saying they will try to delivery
again.
My point i order from many online retail brands they call the customer to
make sure the delivery time is arranged well before they move from the
delivery Hub not like the just updated through  SMS so i have every 10
minutes i keep checking my mobile for make sure the messages is there.
This really so disappointing experience with your company as i was in dubai
and i order before many items  but the quality service there its excellent
you can not compare with  KSA online services.
The service must be improved compared to your retail competitors.
 Mercy guiritan
Mobile number :0531123509 /RIYADH KSA

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5353793